Operation Christmas Child is a ministry of Samaritan's Purse that aims to spread the love and gospel of Christ through the simple act of giving Christmas gifts every year to children living in poverty, in over 100 different countries.
Today, thousands of churches and individuals fill shoeboxes with toys, hygiene items, school supplies, and more to be delivered to children all over the world for Christmas. It is a simple way to help those in need around the world and also to spread the joy and message of Christ during the Christmas season. Since 1990, shoebox gifts have been delivered to more than 157 million children, in over 130 countries. In 2018 alone, Canadians donated 517,437 Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes.
This initiative doesn't end with the shoeboxes. After the boxes have been delivered, the OCC staff begins a 12 session bible study called, The Greatest Journey, to teach children and families all about who God is and what He has done for them. Through this teaching, millions of children are coming to know Christ as their Lord and Saviour, and it all begins with a simple shoebox.
Empty shoeboxes are available for pickup from the church office during office hours (M-Th; 9AM-4PM), to be taken home and filled in preparation for National Collection Week, November 18th-24th. You can also use any average size shoebox to pack gifts.
how to pack a shoebox
- Pick up a shoebox from the church office (or use your own average shoebox).
- Decide whether you will pack a box for a girl or a boy, and the age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. Download the Boy label or the Girl label.
- Fill it with gifts. Select a quality “wow” toy such as a doll, soccer ball with pump, or stuffed animal. Then add other fun toys, hygiene items, and school supplies. Here are some suggestions on what to pack.
- Pray. Most importantly, pray for the child who will receive your gift. You can also include a personal note and photo.
- Make a minimum $10 donation per box. Please donate a minimum of $10 to Samaritan's Purse for each shoebox you prepare to help cover project costs--including shipping.
- Drop off your filled shoebox to the church during National Collection Week, November 18th - 24th.
National collection week hours
The church will be accepting filled shoeboxes during the following hours:
November 18th: 6-9PM
November 19th: 6-9PM
November 20th: 6-9PM
November 21st: CLOSED
November 22nd: CLOSED
November 23rd: 10AM-2PM
November 24th: 1-4PM
If you have any questions about Operation Christmas Child, email Britni McDonald, the Local Logistics Coordinator for South Delta.
For more information on Operation Christmas Child, click here.